Monday, September 10, 2012

Day one in Athens, Monday, Sept. 10, 2012



Got to Skype briefly with Kerry and kids last night in my room. It’s been very convenient to have my own computer and not too much extra to carry. Every place I’ve stayed has had free Wi-Fi. And Irini in Rome got me a European plug (the one I brought didn’t work!).

When I spoke to the travel agency this morning, she told me how to just get a public bus out to Sounion and Temple of Poseidon instead of paying for a bus tour – this would allow me to stay out there later and see the sunset and then hop the bus back. But my knee just wasn’t up to it today, as I know there’ll be walking around the temple. So I’ll save that for tomorrow or Weds. Instead I got a 2 day HopOn/HopOff around Athens bus ticket (second day was free; saw a sign on the way there to get ticket in HardRock Café and saved E2 so got ticket for E16 instead of E18). On my way back this afternoon, I stopped in there and had a juice drink and garlic toast, just to sit there and say I’d been there! Had Buddy Holly’s jacket, etc.

I got a good overview of downtown Athens, passed some Roman and Greek ruins, the Olympic stadium of 1896, really cool looking, where the first modern Olympics, and the first marathon was run. Won by a Greek if I understood the narration correctly! The original guy that ran from the battle of Marathon to tell I think the King that the Greeks had won, and then promptly dropped dead! Ran a bit less than 26.2 miles. And the first one in 1896 matched his length. But when London held the next Olympics, they wanted it to start at the Palace and end at the Olympic stadium so it was changed and stayed at the current 26.2 mile length. Someone I talked with today about the Greek economic crisis said that Greece spent so much getting ready and putting on the 2004 Olympics, it fueled the crisis.

After breakfast (English one: eggs, bacon, bread, juice –that fake orange stuff!, tea – here at the hostel), spoke with Suzuki, a Japanese traveler here from Kyoto for a week’s holiday. Long way to come for a week! We had a great time chatting about my Japan visit last year, etc. Very nice! And excellent English!

I had found a copy on the ubiquitous book-exchange shelf here a hardbound copy of Steve Jobs’ biography by Isaacson. Suzuki couldn’t believe I was carrying that around while traveling! I assured her I was just reading it while I was having breakfast. But it’s interesting! He’s not a person one would like as a friend, boyfriend, husband, or family member! He was really cruel to his adoring adoptive parents who constantly sacrificed for him. I just read when he insisted on going to Reed College, one of the most expensive liberal arts schools in the country in the ‘70s, they gave in, sacrificed to get the money, and then he refused to let them drive him to his dorm – only let them drop him off! Didn’t want anyone to know he had parents!! What a brat!! Not in MY world, no matter how “special” or brilliant! I’m just getting to the part where he gets his high school girlfriend pregnant and then abandons her! I guess he later reconciled with his daughter from that union. Later he married and had 3 other children. Haven’t read that part yet! But interesting how his mind and skills developed.

So Happy Hour is closed on Mondays (as are many museums, etc.) so I’ll head out for a beer and some supper. Was really looking forward to that Mythos! See what tomorrow brings! I will try to get a really early start on the Acropolis in the a.m. before the crowds collect.

Yassas!

No comments:

Post a Comment