Wednesday, February 3, 2016

CRUISE OF THE HARBOR, THE SPICE MARKET  FEB. 3

We headed out after breakfast for a cruise around the harbor of Cochin. Lots of military presence was all around - Coast Guard and Navy. We were stopped at one point as the security wanted to see our pilot’s papers. Everything was okay and we didn’t end up in jail!! We passed the fish auction where colorful fishing boats pulled up to sell their morning catch. There are several islands in this harbor. It was a very pleasant two hours.

We disembarked at part of the Old City where we walked to a Maharaja’s former palace, that had been upgraded by the Dutch with amazing wooden ceilings, and murals on the walls telling the Ramayana story of his wife, Sita, being kidnapped and taken by Ravenna to Sri Lanka. Then Rama travels to recapture her by fighting off the demons, with the help of Hanuman and a monkey army. When he succeeds, he comes back to India in triumph and this is what is celebrated in November at Divali, the festival of lights, where houses are decorated with little oil lamps and mandalas in front of their houses. I taught students about this story when I was at Long Lots and we did the Festivals of Lights where each teacher took one, Christmas, Hanukkah, St. Lucy’s, etc. and I was given Divali. I had a beautiful sari one of the parents had brought me from India, Indian candy, a powerpoint, and was playing a Ravi Shankar record (had to scout out a record player to do this.)  When the 1st graders came in, they were ONLY impressed and gathered around the record player!! They had NEVER seen one!! So much for my clever planning!! :)

Then we walked to Jew Town, they called it. In the 1500s many Jews escaped the Inquisition in Europe and settled here. At first they were persecuted by the Hindus but the Maharaja gave them land right next to his palace, for his protection, and they settled there for hundreds of years. We visited the synagogue (using our “temple” socks) that had many chandeliers hanging and beautiful blue and white tiles on the floor. In the late 1940s many of these residents emigrated to Israel and there are currently only 6 Jews left here for this community.  As we left the area, VJ took us into a shop where this 92 year old Jewish woman was eating a snack. She knew a bit of English! 

We moved on to the Spice Market where VJ took us to a lovely shop (with a bathroom!) and we bought some. Others walked around the area to shop more but I was done! I stayed in the shop with Barbara and had a cold drink until they were ready to go. It got up to 90 here today!!
Boarding for our harbor cruise.

Containers being off-loaded

Fishing boats lined up for fish auction.

Fishermen crew bringing their take to market.

Chinese fishing nets! We helped lift one!

92 year old Jewish woman - one of only 6 left here.

Lovely lady who sold me spices, and found me a cola!

An old Jewish cemetery.

Hotel pool! Lovely!

Barbara and I hit the pool, with some snacks and beer, soon joined by Larry. Later I saw Mark had come down as well. By that time I had gone for my scheduled spa treatment. I chose the Ayurveda massage that was WONDERFUL! She started with an oil treatment on my head. Then slathered oil on front and back with wonderful pressure.  She noticed I had trouble laying flat on my back with my left leg straight (because of my latest knee replacement). So she added another treatment with some kind of pouch that she heated and rubbed all over that area. She put her finger to her lips I think to tell me not to say anything!! I wasn’t charged extra but she got an extra tip!! 

We are leaving this evening for the Elephant Festival and then dinner out somewhere (another Farewell Dinner as VJ will send us off to the airport tomorrow for our flight to Mumbai on our own! We’ll have a day and a half there before we head home!!  I’m ready!
Approaching the shrine. Elephants on right.

Me in my elephant shirt!

All decorated for the festival.

Musicians playing; elephants in back.

One of the shrines.

Bindi from flower pollen.

Behind the elephants.

VJ and his mom who lives nearby

A pretty 5 year old with her Nana!


This was the second to the last day of the Elephant Festival at a shrine near VJ’s home. His mother showed up and gave us all a bindi on our foreheads! There were 5 elephants all dressed lined up with people bringing offerings to the shrine - rice, and other foods. Music was playing. We stayed and watched while they paraded around and played music. Tomorrow there will be 9 elephants and fireworks at midnight! They LOVE to celebrate things!! Dinner out was lovely, and we have an early call tomorrow when we will say good-bye to VJ. Someone else will shepherd us through the airport and meet us in Mumbai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment