Friday, December 2, 2011

Day one in Tokyo

We headed off in the cold and damp yesterday for our first full day in Tokyo. First we headed to the National Museum. There was a special exhibit of Buddhist artifacts from temples in Kamakura, a town south of here that was the capital for awhile and a big Buddhist center. We will go there on Tuesday. The crowds of Japanese looking at these things was daunting. Fortunately, we were a bit taller and could look over shoulders. The art work was amazing - vivid colors from scrolls that were painted 800 years ago. Would love to know what kind of materials they used that lasted so long. There were two monks that recorded many of these scrolls and don`t know if they or others did the art work. There wasn`t a lot of English explanation and no guide in English. There were many wooden statues as well. So it was worth the look. Then we wandered through the rest of the museum with some red pottery, etc.
Next we hopped a train (our JR pass is amazing but mostly doesn`t work on train lines here in Tokyo) for a walking tour that was mentioned in the Lonely Planet Tokyo book we borrowed from the hostel (another great feature of hostels - they always have books to use). It was an old neighborhood reminiscent of the Edo period - the old name of Tokyo until the late 19th century when the capital was moved here from Kyoto and renamed Tokyo. There was a neat Buddhist temple, then walking through an old cemetery. Later a guy told us there were 70 cats that lived in that cemetery and were fed by volunteers. We didn`t see a single one. But high on Betty`s to do today is a shrine nearby to cats! We found a store along the way that had all kinds of cat socks, bibs, posters, etc. An entire store! That was the guy who told us about the cats in the cemetery.
We found the temple to Kannon, the Japanese version of Guanyin - the female Buddha from China. But the temple itself was closed, although wandered through a small cemetery outside the temple.
Then the interesting small museum of sculpture on the walking tour was ALSO closed this month for renovations. Then the Swiss restaurant that had fondue I was looking forward to we never did find!!
So the tour was kind of a bust but it was an interesting neighborhood. I think Tokyo is like New York and Boston - filled with all kinds of interesting small neighborhoods. You just have to know where to look for them.
Hopped another train to go to this Toyota Salon, it`s called, where I had hoped to find maybe a gift shop to bring my son-in-law a hat or t-shirt. It was an interesting 5 level car showroom that had all kinds of info on cars. There was a driving simulator that made me nauseous and I had to stop. All kinds of Toyota models that I`d never heard of - you could sit in. Never saw the Highlander but lots of Camrys. It was definitely a very different showroom for cars!
We stopped for dinner at a Shakey`s Pizza - it was delicious!!!
There was another stop we made at this area where these cosplay they call it - teen-age girls who dress up in crazy costumes with goth makeup, etc. pose for tourists. It mentioned Sunday afternoon and last night we didn`t see any so maybe it`s something we`ll miss. I didn`t care at this point.
So we headed back to the hostel by train. This time we were in the RUSH HOUR crowd! We literally were pushed onto the train and as I was packed between about 4 people, they could feel me laughing and one Japanese girl could understand me as I said to Betty - what happened to my personal space? Japanese people are SO courteous and considerate, etc., and it all goes away on the crowded trains! It reminded me of the time in Shanghai when I was literally lifted off my feet onto a subway by the crowd.
Back at the hostel I was too tired to go down the street to soak in the public bath - although I`m sure I would have enjoyed it. I had gotten up at 6 a.m. yesterday to try and talk with Kerry and my grandkids on Skype. We finally were able to - I could see and hear them but they couldn`t hear me until one of the guys from the office fixed the headphones.
I got up today to talk to my sister, getting the headphones last night from the desk, and they wouldn`t work. Apparently she could hear me but I couldn`t see or hear her. Bummer! I`ll try again tomorrow!
This hostel is very nice - in a great location for the train, next to a great souvenir shopping area, and out the direction towards Narita airport. Unfortunately, when we go to the plane, we have to head back to downtown and then take the JR train out to the airport.
The hostel has just 4 beds ensuite - with our own toilet (still love those Japanese toilets with heated seats! showers from underneath with warm water! ) and our own sink and shower for just the 4 of us. An elevator (we`re on the 3rd floor) with a sign that says we should walk up and down if we don`t have luggage, to save the electricity for the victims of the tsunami/earthquake.  A couple of places we have stayed said part of their fee goes to the victims. They are all still well aware of how much people suffered and continue to suffer. I mentioned the 9 people Mr. Uno took in for a few months after the tragedy .
So it`s time to wake Betty and get moving for today. Hopefully the weather will be better. Off tomorrow for Mt. Fuji area where I will meet a couple who are friends with Sr. Trai Nghiem, one of the sisters traveling with Doug on the Wakeup Tour. They are going to be weekending in the Fuji area and we will meet up tomorrow for a visit. She said she has known them since she was 5. She was born in Dallas, TX, but lived in Japan for 12 years growing up. Both her parents were Japanese but have both passed away. She was a concert violinist インEurope until about 5 years ago when she joined Doug`s community in France. I had never met her before. She gave us a wonderful concert of a Mozart piece after the dinner they all cooked, when they were staying with me. She had contacted her friends here so we could meet up.
Sayonara! from Khaosan Hostel in Tokyo!

No comments:

Post a Comment