Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Retreat Begins May 9

I showed up at the beautiful U of Barcelona building, with several open courtyard on the interior. We had biked past it so I recognized It from Doug's description. It was early but people were already milling around with tags on. I had never registered as by the time Doug intuited me, it was completely sold out. Pilar, one of the organizers and the one who arranged my room, had said that someone would email me how to register. but I never heard from anyone. So I happened  to see Sr. Peace, an American I had first met in 2005 in Vietnam before she was a monastic -I think she's from DC- anyway I told her I wasn't registered and she scooped me right past all the green vested volunteers into the event hall and I had a front row seat.

This is an amazing building and there are University students milling around. It looks almost like a church with two large railings near the front and side throne like chairs built into the walls for maybe a choir. Aon came in and sat near me and we chatted about my bike ride and her shopping expedition that day. she collects little spoons - one she bought said Mexico and another said Santa Roma. She'd had a good time but walked a lot!.

Another teacher from I think she said Switzerland but she was American switched seats with Aon and we chatted. She had been to Plum Village. She was also from Michigan - Irving Park or something like that.

Then the event began and there was Doug sort of the masters of ceremonies introducing Pilar who is a Professor of something here at U of BCN. She introduced the speaker for the mayor of BCN who cancelled at the last moment. This was the Minister of Religious affairs. Then two other men from this University spoke. Then Thay entered. Everyone rose and bowed when he was seated.





I thought, when he began speaking, here we go - another retreat that I will sit through and not I hear or understand a single word! We had had these headphone units to hear the Spanish Translation into English but now Thay was speaking in English and there was only a Spanish translation. After I saw a lot of sisters and brothers moving around and adjusting Thay's microphone, I noticed Sr. Peace had on her headphone. Sure enough, when I switched to Channel 5, there was Thay's voice amplified!!! Phap Do told me they had rented these units for the event. Hooray!!!


After Doug did the announcements after Thay had left, I was not feeling so hot and REALLY needed a bathroom as well as a registration lanyard, which would have my meal letter and group name for discussions. Several people were talking with Doug but then he rescued me by showing me a WC in a back area - the line was about 2 women long and I didn't think I could wait!! Yesterday - ! once that was taken care of, I found a woman at the registration table, used Phap Lu's name, and she made up a card for me. I picked Group C and Gardenia group same as that American as I figured it would be English speaking. I don't know what group Doug 8:45 for meditation before Thay arrived for Sat will be facilitating but it doesn't matter. I'll get to see a lot of him next week when this is over. I just saw the lists of groups posted and it looks like he's not facilitating a group - maybe he gets a break this afternoon because he's moderating the panel of educators discussion at 6 this evening.

Anyhow, I guess because I was added at the last minute I just added my name to the Gardenia group list! I have no shame!! :)

I ended up not staying for dinner last night which wasn't going to be until 8:30!!! I just walked down a few blocks to Passeig de Gracia metro stop and headed back to my room which is about 8 metro stops from there. I ended up having a tiny ham and cheese sand which was left from breakfast and an orange and some nuts and ate a mindful supper, showered and went to bed. There still was no roommate. Pilar had told me I would be sharing with one of the Panel members from the US but no one has showed up!

I felt much better in the a.m. - I think it was the four hour bike ride and a full day . I woke up early as we were to be seated by 8:45 for sitting meditation before Thay's dharma talk at 9. I figured I would eat breakfast at the dorm instead of waiting in the long line at the Univ. BUT when I got downstairs, breakfast on weekends isn't until 7:30! So I had some almonds and cheese from my stash and caught the metro.

I got my headphone and seat and was able for the first time in ten years to actually clearly HEAR Thay's dharma talk. It was on parents and teachers teaching children mindfulness to help them deal with stresses and emotions in their lives. He talked a out love and how, if there is not understanding and compassion for the other person, there is no love. He talked about teenagers and how a boyfriend asks his I girlfriend to text him a nude picture of her. She doesn't want to but is afraid he'll abandon her so she does. He shows it off to his friends to make himself feel powerful. Kids have to be taught that's not love!

After the talk I saw a woman that Doug had been speaking English to. It turns out she's Tineke from the Netherlands. She invited me across of the street for coffee. Turns out she spent two years living at Plum Village and was helping out with the tour. She's a former teacher, lives in Gouda, Holland (yes, like the cheese!) She has a son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren. She had asked to become a nun but said they have an age restriction - 50- and she was 51. While they were considering waiving the restriction, she changed her mind and now wouldn't give up the time with her granddaughters. I understood completely!! in case I lose her email, I'll write it here:
tineke@atreyuenmomo.nl

We returned as they were starting the walking meditation. When Doug walked by behind, he took my hand so I walked with him through two courtyards and then outside on the busy BCN street. We got a lot of looks and photos taken as Thay led us very slowly and mindfully down a couple of blocks and back inside. Doug had to run off to the Apple Store to get some kind of a pen. He asked if I still needed a card reader but I had already been there and was all set.

So now I'm resting until our Gardenia group discussion at 3:45.


No comments:

Post a Comment