Saturday, May 24, 2014

Weds, May 22, Toulouse to Istanbul

 
 
So I spent the night at the La Auberge de la Saint Semins hostel on the second floor in a four bed dorm, just those two guys from Montreal, an Asian guy that disappeared early a.m. and me! They were all out late. I got to shower easily in the room, and go to sleep. I never heard anyone come in, climb in the top bunk, nothing! I had gotten up really early the day before at PV as I thought the morning meditation was at 5:15 but was not until 6 a.m. so I was in the hall by myself doing yoga and some walking meditation! And then schlepping my luggage from the train station for half an hour through Toulouse to the hostel! I was tired!
 
last night in Toulouse
La auberge de Saint Senin - kitchen in room. Didn't use it!





Altar in 12th century church in Toulouse

 
Basilica in Toulouse




Tour group in church

I had a lovely walk around Toulouse and picked a jambon (jamon Spanish), fromage and baguette for breakfast on a bench by the Garonne River. Then I caught the airport bus for E5 to the airport. I had a long wait until the Turkish Airlines counter opened to check my bag. The girl at the hostel let me use her computer to print out my boarding pass the night before. Got through security and was at the gate 2 hours early, of course! But I always have a book.

Just finished a book I bought in PV by and about Sr. D, a Vietnamese refugee who had had a terribly abusive childhood since being born in Saigon in 1968. She's not sure if her father was an older American soldier as her mother had said, or a Vietnamese man. She looks very Vietnamese but was taunted when young for being Amerasian. Her younger brother was blond and very light and he was REALLY taunted! She had a wonderful relationship with her grandmother who told her, " take care of your brother, get an education, and become a nun (she was Buddhist)". She got a medical degree in San Francisco after she moved to US at 16. Her brother 12 was taunted even worse here, called commie, etc. She had a wonderful partner John, whom she had difficulties with as she was raped at 9 and saw her mother go from man to man. He was practicing mindfulness and tried to make the relationship work but he drowned at 33 while she had just started residency. She ends up a nun in Plum Village and it's a wonderful story of survival and recovery!

The flight was smooth and uneventful, with good food and wine! Can't say enough about Turkish Airlines. Did I mention I flew them from NY to Amsterdam through IST, then Toulouse to IST, and June 2nd from IST back to New York, all for $873!!! I think that's unbelievable!!
 
Flying over southern France!


I was frustrated in the very long and winding customs line as I swear 20 planes all arrived at the same time. I had read my pickup driver would only wait one hour then I'd have to find my own way. However, it didn't happen and my driver was there with a sign for Gate 1. It was about a 45 minute drive, past Roman ruins and aqueduct, into the old city. This Legacy Ottoman is in a 19th century decorated with high crown molded ceilings! It's 5 star, not my usual fare!! Love it! Since I 'm traveling on my own, I had to pay a single supplement and have a room to myself. Luxury!!


Lobby of Legacy Hotel

Tonight's room! I'm in culture shock! :)


The tour group was in the middle of dinner after having the first informational meeting that I missed. I joined a table with two medical couples from Boston, live in Norfolk right near Kerry, and a couple from Atlanta. All seem nice. After a wonderful night's sleep, our bus headed for the Hippodrome, a chariot track built by the Romans, with two obelisks from the 2nd century BC.

Obelisk at Hippodrome
 






Frescos inside Aga Sofya which means Holy Wisdom


Green marble from Ephesus




Calligraphy, wood frame, camel skin!



Ancient bronze doors


Behind altar
We then walked past hoards of tourists to the Aga Sofya, a huge former church, mosque, now museum begin in the 3rd century AD. It's magnificent, with wonderful mosaics and calligraphy. I left the tour then as I hadn't opted for the optional Topkapi tour and Grand Bazaar. I waited for a minute in the long ticket line but then went with an English speaking tour guide and 8 people for a skip the line tour of the palace of a sultan and into the Harem, a second ticket. He was very informative and gave a lot of cultural background.




Roses symbol for Islam

Entrance to Topkapi
 

Fountain

Courtyard in harem
 
Education room of harem


 


Library in harem

Olden Horn




Kids who took my picture!


I walked back down the hill, found a little restaurant for lunch/dinner and headed to hotel. I can save the Grand Bazaar for June 1 when we are back here. Don't really need to shop and get hassled! Went down to the spa after a rest for a swim sauna, and then a half hour HEAVENLY massage! It was expensive but I'm worth it!!!


Early departure tomorrow to Troy with a stop first at the Blue Mosque.

No comments:

Post a Comment