Monday, May 19, 2014

Saturday, Beach day, May 17


 
 

 
 

 
 
Doug is outside with the monastics having ANOTHER meeting! There has been one at least once a day, maybe twice! Glad I don't have to sit in.

Yesterday we all trooped down to Cataluyna, a square to meet Shivacami, who lives here in BCN, and was arranging the spot for our beach day about an hour train ride north, where the beaches are cleaner. We had to switch to a different station from the metro and were on our way, sitting on the right side so we'd be able to see the sea.




Bathroom and gelato were the first stop when we detrained (is that a word?) My favorite chocolate and pistachio! We then walked for quite awhile along the beach to find a semi-private cove. The sand was pretty course and ROUGH on my feet! The trains were whizzing back and forth on a raised bed above the beach. Finally we settled into our spot and three monks were in the water before I could set my stuff down. Sr. Dao was one of the first in. They mostly swim in their under robes, all brown pants and shirt. Three of them swam way out to a buoy. I inched my way in as it was quite cold but eventually refreshing, although my hands were tingling/aching the whole time. Sr. Mai, the young French nun who lives on Hong Kong and insisted on carrying my bag all day, came in and we swam together for awhile. Doug finally came in but then swam out to the buoy when I went ashore.




Monks and nuns a'swimmin!

In t-shirt - Michael Schaumberg, Phap Son. I stayed in Ibizi five years ago with his mom. Translated for Thay.
 




Shivacami, Sr. Dao's daughter, went to Mt. Holyoke, Getting married in NY this summer, born in ashram in India. She arranged our beach outing.
 
Lunch - avocados, olives and olive oil, bread, hummus, fruit, goat and sheep cheeses, etc.

Shivacami had brought a sheet (why didn't I think of that as I had an extra bed in my room, I didn't even think of a towel but Doug had one for me) she had an umbrella but we all sat in the sun to get warm! Sr. Mai's teeth were chattering, but she has no body fat for warmth. We took turns going up the rocks and behind bushes to change. I made it just before a train came rushing by and a group of tourists walking. They would have gotten a green underwear show, and more! I noticed in the next cove over was a couple swimming and sunbathing in the altogether!

Bread, pates, veggies, cheeses, Pellegrino and juices, chips etc. were passed around. Michael and Elena seemed to have brought most of the food. They aren't staying in the dorm so probably had access to a supermarket. It was lovely! I kept my ham and cheese on bread sandwich that I had swiped at breakfast hidden away! Had it for dinner at 12:30 am when we FINALLY returned to our rooms!





All of a sudden monks were chasing Phap Lieu, small Vietnamese/French cardiologist monk around (he had already been swimming and changed) and they threw him in! He must have made some wiseacre remark! Anyway, he had no dry clothes so Doug took off his shorts/zip legged pants and gave them to him and he put on the brown ones. He said they were pants and shirt that Dad had bought him in October when they went shopping at EMS. New shirt, pants, shoes, new jacket! He just loved them! Anyhow they saved Phap Lieu!


 
We headed back towards the train as Doug and Phap Lieu were having a dinner meeting with some guy who wants to sponsor their Wake up Tour in South America next fall. The rest of us were heading for the free museum night to the Joan Miro museum on Montjuic. BUT of course we had to climb, cling, climb up to the highest patio in this little town (see pictures) for lovely views. Doug stayed by my side to offer his arm strength for me up and especially down as my knees giving me grief and it helps.

Love it!


Photo op!
 
 


Phap Lindh in hat, Sr. An Nghiem, black sister, Sr. Mai carried my bags, Br. The, from Paris, mom teacher, dad Lebanese

Phap Lindh on HIgh ledge

We had a short wait at the station, pit stop, and brief look at the final fit all game BCN was playing against Athletica Madrid - it was 1 to 1 then. I asked someone when I got back to the dorm. They lost 1 to 1 with no overtime as they had to WIN to move on to I guess European contests; this was just national title!

Doug and Br. Lieu left us at Cataluyna and we talked Br. Lindh OUT of the long walk and took a metro to Parallel and then the funicular up Montjuic was included! We had a short walk to the Miro and of course, there was a line waiting outside. But we had food! I'm telling you these monastics are never at a loss and always have a stash with them. And I don't know ANYONE who can consume as much as Br. Lieu!! and he's so slight; I don't know where it goes!!




Looking down side of Montjuic





Looking up! Museo of Antiquity

Anyway we munched our way through the line, not long, and then stored all our bags in lockers. European system is cool; put in a euro and when you take it out gives you your euro back! I suggested we set a time to meet back at the lockers as it's difficult TRYING to keep everyone together and keep on moving!! So everyone split up and we wandered. I really like Miro's work as it is colorful and fanciful. Relatives of a friend of mine have in-laws who are art patrons. They gave their son an ORIGINAL Miro and they put it in their children's playroom with all the other childlike paintings and it fits right in! A thief would never know this was an original valuable piece of art!

I had never seen his sculptures and tapestries but he was very versatile! I especially liked the display of works he did around Barcelona - a mural to welcome people at the airport; a mural on the ground in a circular mosaic on La Ramblas; to welcome Pelé who come by land; and a statue, a model of which was in the museum outside overlooking the sparklingly lit city, welcoming people by sea! Maybe the original is down by the harbor somewhere - not a lot was in English so I was figuring it out on my own. He apparently lived until the 1980s, was constantly in conflict with Franco and his regime and ended up on Majorca, was part of the whole Surrealist movement. I'm not sure even what exactly that is, except Dali was thrown OUT of the movement, and the stuff is rather weird! But I enjoyed it!

We then headed toward the fountain display and crowds were seated at top by the beautiful Museo of Antiquity and we stopped at various levels on the way down to watch. It seemed the show went on every 15 minutes, with different selections playing while the main fountain at the bottom danced and lights changed colors. Sr. Mai grabbed with her strong arm, besides carrying my bag! as we headed down lots of stairs. At the bottom we all met up, passing food around again! And then finally I was ready to head home. So Sr. Tri from Australia and I took the metro home, and to bed, after my ham and cheese sandwich!! Slept like a rock!!

Dancing fountain


No comments:

Post a Comment