Thursday, January 21, 2016

SUSAN CAUSES TROUBLE!!  JAN. 19

So our last night in Delhi, we were told that the bus was driving overnight to Jaipur and we were spared the long bus ride (OAT listens to feedback from travelers and many had objected to long rides overland) by a short 40 minute flight to Jaipur. We were told to load our luggage on the bus and just take essentials with us. So I did. UNFORTUNATELY, I put my big backpack on too, and that's where my PASSPORT was! FORTUNATELY, Barbara had a copy of both my passport and Indian visa in her stuff and hadn't sent it along! Daisy said not to worry and she called the airport and it didn't seem it would be a problem. Of course, my driver's license with a picture was in with my passport (that has since changed - it's now with my credit cards! and my money belt). When we arrived at the airport, we tried to get past the door guarded by soldiers (we had heard security was especially tight because of the upcoming Republic Day, Jan. 26). Didn't work. No one wanted to take responsibility for letting me through! We went to another higher up and he finally approved it. RELIEF!!

Second trouble I caused! But this was only for me! We arrived in Jaipur and visited a beautiful temple, built by that same rich family that house Gandhi, that had three steeples, one up and rounded for Hinduism, one more flat and stepped for Buddhism and one rounded for Islam. Inside there were beautiful stained glass windows and a ceremony took place at 6 where people crowded around a king of altar with two guys playing gongs and two guys waving candle holders. There was a young couple standing near us newly married, with henna tattoos all over both sides of their hands! She looked about 12!

Outside there were statues of EVERYONE of spiritual contributions to the world from Socrates, Jesus, St. Francis, Mohammed, (I didn't see Buddha but I'm sure he must have been there). It's also an element of Hinduism to accept all religions!
Old fort above the temple in Jaipur

From left to right, Hindu, Buddhist and Islam roof

Indian spelling!! :)

Old symbol, misused by Nazis, to the anger of Indians. 

Ganesh! Hindu god.

Statues on outside of temple.



Beautiful tree outside the temple.

Socrates

Beautiful stained glass windows on temple.


Most delicious dinner so far! Hors d'oeurves heated on grills at our table. Shrimp, chicken and fish (too hot!)
Had no room for main buffet. Went straight to wonderful vanilla and pistachio ice cream!

Couple at nearby table the staff came and sang for. They posed for me, said it was their 33rd anniversary. 

Jaipur was painted a pinky/orange color for visit of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1857 or so. Victoria was warned not to go around Cape of Good Hope (Africa) because of threats of pirates so she didn't come, only her consort. (Daisy said someone said why Victoria should have been worried; she was the biggest pirate of all!! :)

People are also responsible for feeding all sensient beings. Here they bring food for birds and wandering cows. 

We visited this outdoor science instrument observatory. Daisy is explaining this sundial.



Largest sundial in the world. 

Gypsies (originally from India) living at the side of the road. Large tents are put up to shelter the homeless but Gypsies refuse any kind of government services. They rely on begging, stealing.

Next to our Italian restaurant last night.
 So second problem Susan caused, I got sick! Barbara had been sick with vomiting and diarrhea for a day and a half. Then I came down with it. So I stayed home today and missed this huge fort (with elephants carrying some up) and also a visit to a wool rug factory. Hopefully I'll get pictures from someone else. I stayed in my room, friends gave me electrolytes (I just had the diarrhea part, TMI I'm sure!) I was up every 2 hours last night, had chills so had to fold my quilt over myself twice! Daisy called a doctor who came to my room around 11. I can't remember EVER having a home visit from a doctor (probably Dr. Dickson did when I was small, as he was a neighbor and delivered 3 of our kids)
I didn't get a picture of him when he was here but this is his car leaving across the street. He has a sister doctor in Boston. He used to be a surgeon in a government hospital and took an early retirement because his son wanted to start a dentistry practice. So he bought a 3 story building, they live on the top, and his son has a little corner office for his practice, and my dr. runs his practice on the other two floors! What a dad! His son is 27, his daughter 21 and studying architecture. He said his sister comes every 3 months and bring equipment for her dentist nephew that is unavailable here. Families stick together! He said I was fine, although my blood pressure was 107 over 67 - never seen numbers so low. But he said that's because of the diarrhea. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and said he would tell the boy at the desk to come and get it for me at a pharmacy down the street. When he didn't come, I felt better and decided to go out on my own. Not too far down the street was a hospital but they said not there, down and across the street. It was a little hole in the wall on the street where 4 guys were handing over money to get a prescription. Not much English was spoken but I had the written prescription so think I got the right medicine! He said I could keep the rest in case it reoccurred. But he said I would build up immunities; that this was just my system wasn't used to the unusual bacteria with different food. And I'll keep drinking the disgusting-tasting electrolytes! Tomorrow is a 5 hour bus ride so I can lay down in the back seat if needed. We are headed to a Ranthambore National Park where we hope to see some wild life, maybe even tigers! Tonight is a home hosted dinner so I will go and just probably not eat anything! I'll maybe go with Daisy so she can explain why I'm not eating; so I don't appear rude.

My hotel from the outside, on my way back from the pharmacy. Hotels have been wonderful here!

No comments:

Post a Comment