Wednesday, February 27, 2019

OUR VISIT IN MANTA

So far we've visited a couple of scenic beaches outside of Manta, done a little shopping, and lolled around the beautiful pool here overlooking the ocean! I've enjoyed the two rainy, cloudy days as the sun here is so intense I can't stay out very long. There are a lot of ex-pats living here, Justin says. He pays $900/month, overlooking the water, pool, lovely!! You can't find something like this anywhere in the states for that price!

Yesterday we stopped at a new mall and could have been anywhere in America! At a bar overlooking the main road and the Malacon (the strip along the main beach, with shops and bars, where the tour/cruise boats dock), we enjoyed a drink and some delicious sushi! (Bar was called Kobe!) Everyone is getting ready for this weekend when Carnival begins. I think next Weds. is Ash Wednesday and Lent begins in this Catholic country. so big doings next weekend! I'm assuming that will also be the case in Costa Rica. We'll see!

We came back to Justin's apartment and they had cleaned the pool and it was sparkling blue. Very cool and refreshing! Then into the hot tub which was lukewarm but bubbly and relaxing.






We haven't been able to watch the news as it's all in Spanish. So Netflix is their entertainment. One night we watched several episodes (I'd seen it before) about how Trump got to be president! Then I was just curious and was able to find Walk with Me, the documentary Max Pugh and Marc made from following the monks and Thich Nhat Hanh around for two years. I went to NYC to the premiere last year at the Rubin Museum in lower Manhattan. And I have my own copy. But we found it and watched it as Betty had never seen it and Justin was interested. It's about an hour and a half. Doug is in the first scene right behind Thay during a walking meditation, then later he's pouring tea on a bus when they are traveling and playing the drums somewhere at an event. Sister Peace (Jackie whom I met in Saigon in 2005 before she became a nun, was featured in this visiting her father in a nursing home in DC. She told me last year at the Peace Walk in DC Memorial Day weekend that he has since died. Also featured in it is Phap De, Adrian, former Catholic priest from Minnesota. He's setting up cushions for a dharma talk and runs into some guy who recognizes him from his pre-monk days! Phap De died two summers ago at 80! Rod and I saw him last in Magnolia Grove, in MS, when they were on the US tour!! He was special!!  Anyway it was fun to watch and talk about to Justin who knew nothing about this kind of life!

This morning we went out for breakfast: fish soup!!! The thought sounded disgusting! But I thought it was delicious! A tasty broth with chunks of tuna, probably caught fresh this morning, and some yucca and onions. I ate the whole bowl!! And it kept me filled up pretty much all day (we ended up not eating dinner until 7:30 pm. ) Since we were near it, Angie called her manicurist and we waited 20 minutes until she was ready for me. I wanted a French mani- and pedi- like Angie had. So we went to her home, where her 3 sons were around as it's school vacation! Their summertime! We ran into graduation parties yesterday at lunch. It was a neat experience to be in an authentic Ecuadoran home. She charged me $10 and I left $15! That would have cost me probably $40 or $50 back home. She did a great job!!





After coming home to change, we headed to a nearby beach in San Mateo where Justin rented a tent with hammocks. We lazed the afternoon away, jumping in the surf to cool off. It was a lovely afternoon.

After showering back home, we headed out to Angie's Tias (aunts who raised her) home in the suburbs. Her cousin Anita, 15, going into 11th grade, was there with her dad (he drives a truck), along with the oldest of Angie's dad's sisters - I think there are 6) Then Anita's mom came home from work; she works at a tuna factory. They brought out crackers and tuna and we had tea.

I'm going to post this now before I lose it again! More tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment