Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How I got to Ecuador

I finally made it back to Logan in Boston via Cincinnati. Had a wonderful night there at the Quality Inn - was able to do laundry, in case Kerry had no power in Foxboro when I got there and had a very restful night and lovely breakfast. People were so nice there, including the driver of the shuttle from the airport who made a stop at the gas station for me to get some cash at an ATM - of course, I´m sure he was hoping for a tip and with no money he wouldn´t have gotten one! Actually I never made it to Cincinnati as the airport is in Lexingon, KY across the Ohio river. As I flew out the next day and looked down at the winding river, I kept thinking of Uncle Tom´s Cabin and the scene of slaves swimming that river to get to the free state of Ohio!

I met a very interesting young man on the plane back to Boston. He had been in KY doing his weekend Army Reserves duty. He works in computer securities in Boston in the Government Center. But he stayed in the Reserves after they put him through school and plans to stay in it until he will retire from the military in 20 years with a pension! And he basically does the same job for the Army when he does his summer and weekend duties. I asked him how he planned all this out. He said his dad had been in the reserves. This young man wanted to go to BU but didn´t have the money. So opted for the Reserves and THEY sent him to college. I just thought it was pretty amazing planning for a young 20 something to set up.

Kerry had arranged for me to wait at Logan (barely 45 minutes) until Jackie and Paul, her in-laws who had been with us in Puerto Morelos and been diverted for 2 nights in Atlanta, flew into Logan. They had their car there and drove me to Kerry´s to switch suitcases. A lovely neighbor had plowed a path to their door, but I had to shovel to my car to get the suitcase! Rushing around to make the switch and get Paul and Jackie home, I neglected to take my 2 pairs of sandals from the Mexico bag and went off with only hiking boots.

They drove me to Quincy to the Adams Inn where I would be able to get a shuttle ride in the am to the airport for my flight to Miami. It was packed with guests who lived locally but had no power! I was so luck Kerry had insisted on booking me a room from Mexico. I would have losts hundreds of dollars of flight costs if she hadn´t spent hours with Delta getting me home. The Boston MTA wasn´t running on Sunday so I have NO idea how I would have gotten to Foxboro and back with out her arranging things!!! She takes such good care of me!

So after a great night´s sleep I headed at 7 a.m. back to Logan for my flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment