Monday, September 10, 2012

Arrived in Athens Sunday, Sept. 9



Everything went smoothly leaving Santorini. Loved staying at Sunset Hotel with Elena, the proprietess who was delightful. I had plenty of time to pack but when her husband was almost at the airport driving me in the van, she called and said I had left some money in the room. I had left some Euro for the cleaning lady and thought that was what she meant. But, no, he said a “packet”. Then I remembered! I had put my passport pouch with my driver’s license, extra credit cards and about $500 in American dollars under about 5 pairs of underwear in a little drawer!!! Aargh!! A guy showed up about 10 minutes later on a moped with it all in a plastic bag! Can’t believe I did that and am so lucky I leave for airports in LOTS of spare time!

The crowd was horrendous at the airport – can’t imagine it in high season in July and August! Lines to check the baggage and line for security. Then it was confusing what line was for what gate. But ended up on the right plane and smooth 45 minute flight (including a chicken pasta salad, drink and piece of chocolate!! Unbelievable in that short a time!).

Found the X95 bus and rode to Syntagma Square at the end of the 45 minute ride and walked to the hostel. My knees is REALLY giving me grief!!! Mihaila (from Bulgaria, who’s worked here 7 years) was delightful checking me in. Gave me a great room for the 4 nights (I think tonight I’m alone) with a balcony and everything – 4 beds to a room. I do NOT have a top bunk! E50 for 4 nights! Great location a few blocks from the Acropolis. I unpacked and came down for Happy Hour and E1.5 for beer and chips. Then I went out for a walk, headed to the Acropolis but was told it closes at 7 p.m. Painfully walked back downhill. There is a 2.5 hr. walking tour on Tuesday but don’t know if I’ll be able to do it. The great thing about hostels is they have tours already scheduled. This one has a tourist agency right in the hostel. I might do the ½ day tour to Sounion and Temple of Poseidon on the end of the peninsula that Athens is on tomorrow. They open at 9:30 so I’ll see then.

Stopped at a place next to the hostel (Student/Traveller Hostel) for dinner since the hostel gave a card for free drink/free dessert and 10% off. Don’t think the waiter was to happy when I brought out the card but too bad!! Had a lovely veal/rice/veggies dinner.

Athens seems wonderful, huge pedestrian area throughout the Plaka area full of restaurants, shops and tourists. Mihaila said it’s a very safe area. I had read some Trip Advisor reviews that kept talking about “sketchy” areas. But this seems really nice and safe. Of course, I’m not much for being out late at night. There is also an Athens at Night tour I might look into.

Yassou! (I was spelling it wrong. Hostel gave me a whole sheet of “Greek words you would probably want to know” Love those hostels!! Will teach Jackson, and maybe Sarah, how to count in Greek: ena, dio, tria, tesera, pente, eksi, epta, okto, enia, deka. He can already count to five in Chinese and we were working on German before left.

No comments:

Post a Comment