Thursday, September 13, 2012

Arrived in New York: Thursday, 9/13/2012



I have a few thoughts to put down as I wait in NY for my connecting flight to Boston.

After my beach day yesterday, I met the “female nomads” for a lovely dinner outside the hostel. They had already negotiated with the maitre d’ for free drinks and a discount, since it was our last night. Had moussaka (too big! As usual), Greek salad and red wine. Delicious! Topped off with ice cream.

We then, Maureen, Mica and I walked up the hill across from the Acropolis to see a Greek music and dance program. As we walked down the path, by this time it was dark – 9:30 show – and a stretch had no lights. There were two Greek men walking a dog and they said they would show us where the theatre entrance was. I was a bit disconcerted but Maureen charged on ahead talking with them. Mica said, don’t worry, she would protect us! She probably weights 110 lbs soaking wet! But strong!! She’s the marathoner. She said she would fend them off while we ran away and then she’d run like crazy and catch up with us!! But they were just being helpful and showed us what must be like a back gate. We could finally hear some music but everyone else must have gone in the other entrance. Only about 40 or so people there. E15 for the 90 minute show. It was interesting at first, authentic costumes from around Greece. But then it kind of got repetitive – the steps varied a bit but all line dances and similar. There was a really old woman doing the singing and then she’d plop back down on her chair and wait. But I enjoyed it for a final night in Greece!

Said we’d meet in the a.m. for breakfast before I caught the bus to the airport around 8:30.

Some things I forgot to mention and observations:

People are very kind! When I was headed to the beach on the tram, I couldn’t figure out where to get a ticket – thought I paid on the tram. There was a woman sitting on the bench, she tried to show me and then just handed me a ticket, showed me where to stamp it before I got on and I headed out!

I’ve had more trouble with buses on this trip, figuring out the system and schedules. I had that bad evening in Rome after I left Doug and the driver wouldn’t let me on the bus, even if I paid, and there were no kiosks open to get a ticket. I had that very long, painful walk all the way to Termini to catch the metro back to Anna’s!

Observation: Greek women, it seems to be when they pass a church, cross themselves 3 times. Is this a superstition? The woman next to me on the plane crossed herself when the plane took off and landed.

Sr. Trai Nyiem e-mailed me from Paris that she had gotten in touch with her former roommate in Athens, Katerina, and sent me her phone numbers. I had the desk call her that night but no answer. And they couldn’t call a cell phone from the desk. So I never did connect with her, but I only had one day left anyway. So maybe another time!

Kerry et. al. will meet me at Logan and we’ll head straight to Wellfleet for their anniversary weekend. Can’t wait to see them all!! “Nana! Nana!” Can’t wait!!

It was a wonderful trip, had some great time with Doug, met a number of unforgettable people, and hope to see some of them again for sure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment