Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 Hi from Chania!



Took the bus for one overnight to Chania, western part of Crete. Will head back tomorrow maybe up through the mountains but will stay at same place (left luggage there) for one more night. Staying in the old town here in a really rustic place, but clean and great location near the harbor on winding streets. I finally gave up and let Stefano, a very efficient travel agent, book me a place here, the boat Thursday to Santorini, a place to stay there for 4 nights and then flight to Athens on Sunday. Now I need to work on where I will stay in Athens until I leave Thursday. Stopped here at an internet cafe for awhile as Ileft mylaptop in Heraklion. Very picturesque here with Venetian, and Turkish architecture. Plus lots was destroyed by the Germans in 1941. They've had a very violent history, as their ports were very well located between Crusaders, Turks, Germans, Romans, Greeks, Venetians! All left their imprint. And the Cretans were very independent and suffered a lot for it,especially helping the Allies escape when the Germans invaded. And now German tourists make up the bulk of those visiting Crete! Weird world!!


I'm really writing this blog mostly for me, so I remember what I've seen. Portia and her relatives want me to come back in 2014 when she returns. Very nice people!

No comments:

Post a Comment