Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Down to my last day – Weds. Sept. 12, 2012



I had a beautiful relaxing day! The other “femalenomads” headed off to visit Acropolis and other ancient sites. I took the tram leisurely for about an hour and ½ out to a beach at Voulu. It was lovely, hired a bed and umbrella for E2.5 for the day and dove in. It had a lovely sandy bottom, something I haven’t found in Greek beaches so far. So for me this was the best beach so far. It wasn’t too crowded, the water was refreshing and I spent several hours reading, swimming, dozing, lazing (is that a verb? Word?) The young woman at the travel agency who had been so helpful told me to maybe take the tram one way (it makes lots of stops) and the bus back. That’s what I did. Meeting the other 3 at 7:30 for dinner and then to the Greek Dance Theatre in an outside theatre across from the Acropolis at 9:30 for E15. I’ll get packed up first. Just found out it looks like my flight is 1:00 p.m. rather than the original 2:00 p.m. But I know right where the bus is to express to the airport. For some reason it won’t let me check in online so I’ll have to do it there.

I think the key to traveling longer, and not getting so tired, as I did after the six week China/Japan sojourn, is to take a day of rest – like today! I could probably keep going for another week or so and then rest. But home for now. Two of the nomads are going on to a couple of islands and then maybe a month in Turkey!! Would SOOO like to have included Turkey on this trip but it just seemed too much. Another time! We’ll keep in touch and I’ll hear how and what they did while there. They were in Dubrovnik (they said most beautiful city they were ever in!) and through Albania where the people were incredibly nice! So much to see! So little time!!

BTW, I remember from 1965 we saw a beautiful outdoor Sound and Light show in English with music where all the various sites were lit up and they told the history story. I hadn’t heard anything about it. Finally found out, online of course, that they stopped doing it in 2000 – they thought it might be damaging the sites. I don’t think the lights can hurt marble but what do I know. Glad I got to see it when I did.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment