Monday, July 22, 2013

SUNDAY HEADED BACK EAST July 21




Our last night in Vancouver we sat and listened to a soothing jazz band at Pat’s Pub and then tried to sleep. It was VERY noisy outside on Hasting St.!! I don’t know if it was people coming out of the bar downstairs (I don’t think so) or just the hangers on doing drug deals, Fiona said she saw prostitutes out there, and whatever else – it was very noisy! We had to keep the window open as it and a small fan on our second floor room was all we had to beat the heat. I know it was 1 or 2 a.m. before I fell asleep.

By the time I woke up, Michelle was all dress, packed and almost out the door on the way to the train station for her 6:40 a.m. train to Vancouver, WA. Rod drove her and we got ready and packed up for our departure after breakfast. We ran into Fiona as we were finishing up and Betty stayed to talk a bit about the Avatar thing. Can’t remember if I mentioned it before, but Fiona (from New Zealand) had been to an Avatar convention in Florida before she had come to visit her son in Vancouver. I thought it had something to do with movies!! But no, it’s called the Compassion Project! To help create peace! She gave us each a card that has 5 steps on it called Compassion Exercise. It says you’re supposed to do 5 steps on strangers from a distance. Basically it’s a kind of mindfulness, recognizing this person is trying to avoid suffering, seeing to fulfill needs, learning about life, etc. There’s a website  called TheAvatarTimes.com  She was familiar with Thich Nhat Hahn and his books.

Anyway Rod and I loaded the car and then Betty came out and we headed out of town, east. We ended up driving over 600+ miles – one of our longest days! We were headed toward Glacier Park and skirted the US/Canada border pretty much all the way. It was a lovely scenic drive, through rolling mountains, lots of vineyards and fruit orchards and stands.




Lunch stop at Osoyoos




We stopped at a scenic lakeside picnic stop in the town of Osoyoos where we used up some of our cooler food and relaxed. I would have loved to take a swim but my suit was packed way under lots of stuff so we moved on. We came down into the US into Idaho towards Bonners Ferry, north of Coeur d’Alene, and turned east toward Columbia Falls. I was able to get a reservation at a Western Glacier Inn, and we had a choice of a cabin with AC but no bathroom/water, a teepee! Or a tent! I chose the log cabin and then our phone got cut off as we were way out in the boonies. I heard her say something about 10:30 p.m. and I think the office closed then. I tried to call back but no service. So I worried the whole time we would get there and it all would be locked up, including our cabin!

We rolled into Kalispell and on the Columbia Falls and headed out of town. Finally we spotted it and JUST made it by 10:15! She had two bundles of sheets, quilt and towels, a double platform bed and two bunk beds. I took the plastic mattress off the top bunk and ½ of the double bed and made a bed on the floor. Our bathroom and showers were down the way past the teepees and tents around the corner. No getting up in the middle of the night for me!!
Our room?  NOT! But looks like fun!
This was our log cabin.


The inside.

We sat out on our porch swing while Rod drove into town to try to find some food. He came back with some pizza for us and pasta dish for Betty. By this time it was past 11 p.m. I was able to upload some blog entries and pictures before bed, but had a hard time getting to sleep. I guess it was eating so late!!

No comments:

Post a Comment